Linguistics and Digital Humanities (Ph.D.)
Doctoral program in Linguistics and Digital Humanities
Digital Humanities at The Faculty of Arts, Palacky University is a four-year doctoral program, which is closely connected with applied research and practical application of the results of theoretical research. The study is focused on linguistic text analysis in connection with current methods of data mining, which is further applicable in the sphere of application or in the research in the humanities.
The requirements for completing the program are publishing, internships abroad, active participation in scientific conferences, and pedagogical practice in either bachelor’s or master’s study program.
The program is based on three main research orientations:
- the use of linguistic description for analysis of digitalized text,
- analysis of a digitalized text for use by the humanities (philology, history, etc.),
- linguistic analysis of the genetic text.
The work with current methods of data mining is envisaged in all the above-mentioned approaches. It will provide basis for the students in the analysis of a wide range of qualitative and quantitative features of a text with an emphasis on big data processing.
A graduate of Digital Humanities is able to analyse language data and solve problems concerning natural language processing. They are equipped to create and use tools for text analysis, which are applicable in state administration, private sector, and research.
Program guarantor: prof. Mgr. Jiří Špička, Ph.D.
Internal members of scientific committee:
- prof. RNDr. dr hab. Jan Andres, DSc.
- doc. Ivona Barešová, Ph.D.
- prof. Alexander Bolshoy, Ph.D.
- doc. Olaf Günther, Ph.D.
- prof. PhDr. Jan Kořenský, DrSc.
- prof. PhDr. Jiří Lach, MA, Ph.D.
- prof. PhDr. Libuše Spáčilová, Dr.
- doc. Mgr. Silvie Válková, Ph.D.
- doc. Pavel Zahrádka, Ph.D.
External members of scientific committee:
- prof. Raquel Amaro, Ph.D.
- prof. Rute Costa, Ph.D.
- prof. Ramon Ferrer-i-Cancho, Ph.D.
- prof. Claudio Paolucci, Ph.D.
In case of any administrative matters (application for state examination, request for interruption of studies, etc.), do contact the doctoral study officer Mgr. Lucie Kovaříková, Ph.D. (email@example.com). Regarding the content of study plans and the structure of studies, contact the secretary of the doctoral study program Mgr. Ľudmila Lacková, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org).